From TF2 Wiki
|Health:|| 200 |
(300 when buffed by a Medic)
|Meet the Soldier|
A psychotic patriot/vietnam veteran from the doggy dog heart of America, the Soldier (allegedly Mister Jane Doe) is the diamond dozen dildo-licking general assault unit of the team. While one of the easier to misunderstand classes on the roster, he is far from the strongest, although he is a bit crazed (Note from author: A bit? He personally cut off nine heads and is given head on a daily basis.). In fact, when, and only when, b4nny plays Soldier, he can be one of the most dangerous classes on the battlefield. Equipped with his rocket launcher (stolen from a dead viet-cong during his tour in Vietnam) and stamina to spare, the Soldier is a highly versatile class for both offensive and defensive roles.
An ability the Soldier is infamous for is the spectacular rocket jump. In defiance of all good sense and judgement, the Soldier can point his rocket launcher downward, leap into the air and fire, propelling himself skyward at the cost of some health (though as the Soldier attests, "Pain is weakness leaving the body.") This ability allows the Soldier to pop up in unexpected places and reach areas off-limits even to the Scout and his leaping prowess.
- You can rocket jump to great heights by simultaneously jumping, crouching, and firing a rocket at the ground.
- Aim rockets at an enemy's feet to ensure they can't avoid the explosion damage.
- Please make sure that you keep the Rocket Launcher loaded. Press "R" to reload at anytime when not firing.
- Hit your "MEDIC!" button to call for a Medic if you get hurt. Nearby Medics will be notified of your need.
- When using the Escape Plan with less than 160 Health, your running speed increases. This can allow you to make a quick break for a health pack, but you can not be healed by a Medic with this weapon out.
- When the opponent is under the influence of "Mad Milk", use the "Black Box" to improve the Mad Milk's health recovery effect to 75% of your damage +15 hp.
- When rocket jumping it is recommended to use Gunboats as it reduces the damage from your own rockets.
- When using the Liberty Launcher it is recommended to use a shotgun as your secondary in order to make up for the lower clip size of your primary.
- When using the Liberty Launcher it is NOT recommended to use the gunboats. When you rocket jump with the liberty launcher you will have only two shots left before having to reload. This will put you at a great disadvantage because two rockets will not take out a level three sentry or most of your enemies.(Even if it's a direct hit)
- You can rocket jump to places even the Scout can not reach. Use this to your advantage and ambush your enemies.
- Using your rocket launcher at long distance is easily avoidable, try to avoid this.
- Use your rocket launcher to push away sticky bombs placed by a an enemy Demoman, a useful move for helping teammates.
|Weapon||Kill Icon||Ammo||Damage||Special Ability|
|Loaded||Carried||Point Blank||Medium Range||Long Range||Critical|
|3||20||105-112||50-90||45-60||270 (D/H)||On hit: +15 health, -25% clip size|
|4||60||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||100% Damage from all weapons, -100% self damage from rockets.|
|4||20||140||74-107||55-58||338||+25 Damage, 80% faster projectile speed, 75% Reduced Splash damage radius,|
|3||20||105-112||50-90||45-60||270 (D/H)||40% Faster projectile speed, -25% clip size|
Cow Mangler 5000
|5||Infinite||117-121||45-81||41-43||N/A|| Does not require ammo.
Alt-fire: A charged shot that mini-crits players and disables buildings for 4 sec. -10% damage penalty No random critical hits Deals only 20% damage to buildings Cannot be crit boosted 5% slower reload time
|Loaded||Carried||Point Blank||Medium Range||Long Range||Critical|
The Righteous Bison
|Weapon||Kill Icon||Attack Interval||Damage|
|0.8 seconds||Varies on Health||Varies on Health|
|Equalizer||500||4 seconds||The Soldier throws his Equalizer,cracks his knuckles, rips a Grenade (or a Holy Hand Grenade if you are wearing the Lumbricus Lid), from his bandolier and pulls the pin. The blast kills him and any enemy within 6 feet.|
|Soldier's stash||Tyrant's helm||Stainless pot||Killer's Kabuto||Sergeant's drill hat||Lumbricus Lid|
|Grenadier's Softcap||Chieftain's Challenge||Stout Shako||Dr's Dapper Topper||Exquisite Rack||Defiant Spartan|
|Hero's Hachimaki||Honcho's Headgear||Spiral Sallet|
|Primeval warrior||Grizzled veteran||Soldier of fortune||Mercenary||Earbuds||Platinum Dueling Badge|
|Gold Dueling Badge||Silver Dueling Badge||Bronze Dueling Badge||Polycount Pin||License to Maim||Companion Cube Pin|
|Gentle manne's service medal|
Official class avatars
|Offical Class avatars|
|Original||RED 'ÜberCharged'||BLU 'ÜberCharged'|
- Main article: Soldier achievements
Soldier pack: 35 achievements, 3 milestones.
- The Soldier is voiced by Rick May.
- The BLU Soldier's name is, according to his mailbox, Jane Doe. Jane Doe is the name used when a female person's name is not known, usually used in reference to missing Soldiers (it also may reference John Doe, the name used as a placeholder in legal documents, or otherwise-unidentified male dead bodies, also usually in reference to soldiers).
- This now seems to be the canon name of both Soldiers, as in the "Mann vs Machine" map "Decoy", also known as "Doe's Drill", the RED Soldier was somehow contracted under the name of Jane Doe to construct a decoy Mann facility.
- The Soldier has made several posts on the TF2 Official Blog.
- The Soldier has a crew cut hairstyle beneath his helmet.
- The Soldier has a list of things men should be engaged in at all times:
- 1. Getting a haircut
- 2. Yelling
- 3. Digesting ribs
- 4. Hill defense
- The Soldier's habit for calling other people "Maggots" is likely a reference to semi-retired professional wrestler Robert Remus, better known for his time in the World Wrestling Federation as the square-jawed All-American soldier Sgt. Slaughter. Remus also voiced the animated version of Sgt. Slaughter that appeared as a Drill Instructor in the 1980s G.I. Joe cartoon.
- The Soldier smokes cigars, as evidenced by the Soldier's stash hat and promotional images.
- A running event in the Meet the Team videos is that the BLU Soldier is either killed or grievously wounded. The BLU Soldier has been killed in every Meet the Team video to date.
- The Soldier's voice actor and the Engineer's voice actor have both voiced the character Wolf O'Donnell from Nintendo's Star Fox series: Rick May (the Soldier) in Star Fox 64, and Grant Goodeve (the Engineer) in Star Fox: Assault.
- The BLU Soldier and the RED Demoman became fast friends after meeting at a projectile weapons expo. They shared many experiences together including deep sea fishing, a trip to Las Vegas and the 'Gravel Pits of America' scenic bus tour. After the Administrator's assistant Miss Pauling brought the matter to her attention (as friendships are forbidden by mercenary contract), the Administrator decided to introduce a little 'healthy competition' to kill their blossoming friendship.
- The Soldier almost never removes his helmet, even outside of battle.
- The Soldier enjoys Capt. Dan's Army Surplus Soup, Guns and Haircuts Magazine, and deliveries from The Rib Place.
- The Soldier's apartment has a map of Germany on the wall, most likely related to his post-WWII Nazi killing sprees.
- The Soldier claims to have jumped on 1,336 live grenades, a likely reference to 1337, the "leet speak" translation of 'elite'.
- The Soldier's apartment door has armholes for snapping the necks of would-be intruders. The apartment door also has seven locks.
- The Soldier is the only class who makes references to the other character's country of origin with the exception of one line from the Scout when dominating a Medic and from the Engineer when dominating a Spy. These references sometimes display a surprisingly detailed knowledge of the country in question (taunting the Sniper for not being prepared for the level of violence on the battlefield, a reference to Australia's heavy censors on video games and film, something Valve learned the hard way when Left 4 Dead 2 was submitted for review), and sometimes none whatsoever. He also shows that despite his violent attitude and apparent lack of intelligence, he knows a fair bit about current events (as he references the Cold War and the former World War II that he (unofficially) fought in when dominating a Heavy or Medic), and military policy (when he references "Section 8" and war crimes in his lines and achievements).
- The Soldier does not openly say that he is not a real soldier (being denied from every branch of military, and going on his own tour of duty) and keeps the fact a secret. The mere suggestion that the Soldier is a civilian is liable to send him into a fit of self-righteous fury.
- The Soldier hates hippies and loves violence.
- The Soldier's only weapon to have an alt-fire function is the Cow Mangler 5000.
- Despite the Soldier's aggressive and violent behavior, he claims in his domination lines that "love is sweet".
- The Soldier makes up odd names for his dead enemies during dominations. In the same subject, he has given the Sniper six names during domination, most of them being very similar.
- The Soldier's beta emblem was a helmet, as seen below:
- The Soldier is the only class in the game who shows signs of patriotism (aside from the Sniper's taunt, "God save the Queen!") as evidenced by his attempts to enlist in the US Army. He also appears to be Xenophobic, making degrading remarks about all other classes' nationalities (including the Engineer, who he apparently believes to be Canadian).
- Despite the above statement, he has no problems working with the German Medic (America's, and his, enemy during WWII) and the Russian Heavy (America's enemy in the Cold War, which is still ongoing at the time of TF2), although he will reference WWII and the Cold War when dominating enemy Heavies and Medics.
- The Soldier apparently has no grip on reality, to the point of thinking that the severed heads of people he has killed and carefully lined up on a wall are recruits, and gives them rousing speeches. He also believes many nonsensical things about history, although considering the nature of TF2, not all of his statements may be false.
- The Soldier, despite his angry, psychotic and violent behavior, appears to be very loyal to his friends, as evidenced by his refusal to kill the Demoman even though he knew he would probably get killed as a result.
- The Soldier has used his shovel for twelve years.
- The Soldier's fondness for ribs pops up infrequently in TF2 media, such as blogs, comics, and even a Domination line to the Engineer.
- The pose the Soldier made for the hidden medal page seems to make more appearances, such as the training room for the Target game mode.
- The Soldier apparently doesn't like books, based on one of his Engineer domination lines. He appears to have some knowledge of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit though, when he attempts to say the name of the main character, Bilbo Baggins, in some of his Sniper domination lines. This reference is likely to do with the fact that the Lord of the Rings movies were filmed in New Zealand, and the Sniper is from Australia.
- Only 3 hats allow the player to see the Soldier's Bald head (the Cheater's Lament, the Parasite hat and the Horrific Headsplitter). There is no hatless Soldier "hat".
- The Soldier is the only class related to the military, trying to involve himself in World War II.
- The Soldier has 12 class specific hats.
- The Soldier currently has more hats than any other class.
- The achievement "Death from Below" can still be achieved if you are above the enemy.
- Despite dying in every Meet the Team video to date, the BLU Soldier won the WAR! update against the RED Demoman (even though technically more Soldiers were killed than Demomen).
- The Soldier has the most primary unlocks to date with 5.
- The Soldier, Demoman, Sniper, and Scout are in a 4-way tie for the most secondary weapons. Coincidentally, there are 4 of them and they each have 4 secondaries.
- In the Meet the Soldier video the Soldier is shown taking the grenades off of his ammo belt.
- The Soldier and the Engineer are the only classes to receive more than three weapons in a single update (the Engineer in his class update and the soldier in the WAR! update and the Uber Update).
- The RED Soldier has a collection of BLU team heads.
- In the Valve shop, a portrait poster for the Soldier states that he is the most expendable and also the most mentally unstable member of the Team. This rule seems to include the Pyro.
- Rocket jump
- Meet the Soldier
- Soldier User Guides
- Soldier match-ups
- Soldier responses
- Soldier voice commands
- Soldier taunts
- Soldier strategy
- How to play the Soldier
- Soldier scripts
- Obtaining Soldier achievements
- List of references (Soldier)
- WAR! Update
- WAR! Update - The Soldier Update
- The Soldier comic
- TF2 Official Blog- Some Manner of Grid-based Cipher Code
- TF2 Official Blog- More dot-commy mumbo jumbo for you bunch of women
- The Zepheniah Mann & Sons Co. Quarterly Concern
- Classless Update- Today is A Good Day
- TF2 Official Blog- Drop And Give Me Terror!
- TF2 Official Blog- How to Get a Ghostly Gibus Hat
- TF2 Official Blog- Attention Employees...
- TF2 Official Blog- The War Update
- TF2 Official Blog- It's a Bloodbath!
- TF2 Official Blog- War, Day 2
- TF2 Official Blog- The Big Red One