From TF2 Wiki
The Sharpened Volcano fragment is a promotional melee weapon for the Pyro, with the appearance of an obsidian axe with lava flowing from the edge of the blade. If players pre-ordered RIFT on Steam before March 1, 2011, they acquired this item, alongside the Sun-on-a-Stick with genuine quality. Approximately one month the pre-order date, the Sharpened Volcano Fragment, as well as the Scout's Sun-on-a-Stick, are available through regular game play drops and crafting.
The overall effectiveness of the volcano fragment is debated, and the Volcano Fragment is not used often in play. This weapon reduces the melee damage by 20% but makes up for it by lighting up your enemies with flames. It may seem at first that the Volcano Fragment is mostly useless since the Pyro's primary can ignite enemies. However, when in combat using the Degreaser, a Volcano Fragment can be useful when attempting to counter the Degreaser's -25% burn damage penalty.
- This was the first item, along with the Sun-on-a-Stick to feature the genuine quality.
- In the beginning of the pre-order period of RIFT, this item, along with the Sun-on-a-Stick were tradable. However, Valve decided to make them untradable during the February 8, 2011 patch until the pre-order period ended. It is likely the following reasons caused Valve to do so:
- People were pre-ordering RIFT and then cancelled their pre-orders, while still getting the items to sell them for high prices.
- The RIFT items were considered to be worth an unusual hat; some people think that Valve made the items untradable, so that people wouldn't trade away their high-value items as long as they couldn't get them through crafting.
- While it was untradable during the pre-order promotion, it was still giftable.
- On March 1, 2011, the pre-order period for RIFT ended. Thus, the Genuine Sharpened Volcano Fragments was made tradeable and crafting recipes were released.
Sharpened Volcano Fragment