The Safe'n'Sound is a headwear item available for the Engineer.
It appears as a pair of team colored ear defenders, likely to protect him from the racket of building items from metal or from gunshots. They have no effect on gameplay and will not cause loss of a player's sound. This item was released in the May 20, 2010 Patch under the second round of Contribute! content.
- This "hat" is most notably worn by construction workers who use Jackhammers to protect their ears from the noise. Construction workers also wear these above or inside their hardhats; the Engineer does not.
- Aside from the Cheater's lament and Texas Slim's Dome Shine, this hat is the only one of the Engineer's which completely reveals his bald head.
- The in-game description of this hat reads: "It gets difficult trying to calculate the total external applied torque to a body's rotational motion through its moment of momentum vector while the distracting sounds of gunfire and death are all around you. Build a better, safer machine with the silence of the Safe'n'Sound!" which was created by foxtrot261.
- As of the 3rd December Update, The Safe'n'Sound is now paintable.
- New recruits in the USA army and other armies across the world use earmuffs like the Safe'n'Sound to protect their ears from loud gunshots during training.
- Similar earmuffs are used by workers close to buildings that are being demolished.