From TF2 Wiki
|This article is a stub. As such, it is not complete. You can help Team Fortress Wiki by expanding it.
Mountain Lab is an Attack/Defend style control point. Mountain Lab was a winner of TF2Maps.net's Art Pass Contest, and was released into the game on October 27, 2010 with the Scream Fortress Halloween event. Mountain Lab is similar to Gorge in that it is a single-stage linear attack/defend (as opposed to Gravel Pit-style maps in which two control points may be captured by BLU at once). It is unique in that it, along with the Mann Manor variant, has three control points in linear succession (other attack/defend maps are either 2-CP and linear or 3-CP and non-linear).
The objective of the map is for BLU to capture all three control points. RED must defend these points until the time limit is reached.
Capture Point A
The first control point is nested against the side of the RED facility. Behind it is an elevated platform from which enemies returning to the battle from spawn may appear. A rock archway to one side provides a medium health kit and a main highway for both teams' travel, while the wood building opposite it contains a large health kit and ammo crate, making it a popular sentry location. Although this control point takes longer to capture than any other on any map, its proximity to the attackers' spawn and distance from the defenders' spawn usually make it very easy for BLU to seize.
Capture Point B
The second point is located inside a wood structure overlooked by the main entrance to the RED base. Many corners and edges outside the base make for numerous sentry locations, and long sight lines make it a popular area for Snipers. An elevated outcrop on the far side of the building makes for an excellent Sniper nest, but also an easy entry point into the base by explosive jumping soldiers and Demomen. The defenders in this area tend to stay near the RED base, using it to force the enemies to get close before attacking. However, this sometimes leads to fairly easy captures when attackers are able to slip by.
Capture Point C
The final control point is in the heart of the RED facility, surrounded by a pit on three sides. The large room is accessible from almost every direction, including above - a large hole in the roof allows soldiers and Demomen to rain explosives down on RED Engineers if the defenders do not control the area. Because the control point is surrounded by a lethal fall, an effective tactic is for defending Pyros to come directly out of the spawn point and airblast foes off of the point - if they don't land in the pit, they will be all the way on the other side of it.
- Mountain Lab and Mann Manor have the same layout as they are both winners of the Art Pass Contest. Mann Manor is considered the Halloween version of Mountain Lab, similar to how Harvest has an event version, Harvest Event.
- When using the noclip cheat, or using the fly option in Spectator Mode to look behind the BLU spawn, you can see that the airboat is from "Freeman Airboat Tours". This is a reference to a chapter in Half-Life 2 titled Water Hazard, another Valve published game, in which Gordon Freeman has to use an airboat to get to Black Mesa East to assist Eli Vance.
- Outside of BLU spawn is a Sniper Target on the balcony of a building. It falls over when shot by a bullet, shatters if hit with a Sniper Rifle and explodes when hit by an explosive.
- In the shack near capture point B, if you look through the holes in the steel door to the left, you'll see a Soldier target from Target.
- Mountain Lab includes many different models created in the Swamp Pack released on TF2Maps.net.