From TF2 Wiki
Jarate, a jar-based karate*, is a secondary weapon for the Sniper, unlocked by completing 11 Sniper Achievements. Jarate takes the form of a thrown jar of urine that splashes upon impact. When splashed on enemies, they take 35% more damage on mini critical hits for a period of time. Jumping in water will wash off Jarate. Jarate is also able to short out Spies’ cloaking devices. When used on teammates or yourself, Jarate will extinguish any fire effects.
- *Jarate is not affiliated with, nor a substitute for Karate.
- Effect: Enemy takes 35% more damage. Extinguishes fire if thrown on allies or yourself and disrupts Spies' cloaks. Enemies that are hit by the Jarate will have their vision tinted yellow.
- Jarate Recharge: 20
- Jarate 'Effects' Duration: 10
All times are in seconds. Times are approximate and determined by community testing.
- It is interesting to note that enemies affected by Jarate can still be set on fire by weapons such as the Pyro's flamethrower and flare gun, as well as the Sniper's Huntsman (assuming a friendly Pyro lit your arrow). Afflicted enemies also receive 35% more damage from both the weapon and its burning after-effects.
- Jarate's first appearance in the Team Fortress 2 Universe was in the Meet the Sniper video, where it appeared as a seemingly incidental background object. On April 1, 2009 (April Fool's Day), Jarate was revealed in a Sneak Preview as an unlockable weapon for the Sniper. However, because of the day the preview was posted, fans were dubious as to whether the weapon was a joke or a legitimate unlock. Jarate was once again glimpsed before its official announcement on Day 6 of the Sniper vs. Spy Update. If the reader refreshed the page several times in a row, the background would change to show a jarate jar flying towards the surprised, Ambassador-wielding Spy. The next day (Sniper vs. Spy Update Day 7), Jarate was finally revealed as the last Sniper unlockable.
- Claimed effects of using Jarate on your opponents in battle include psychological damage, blindness, embarrassment, nightmares ("with you as the star!), self-loathing, difficult stains and intense body odor. Jarate jars are guaranteed to be made (and presumably filled) in New Zealand.
- Jarate has apparently been developed and guarded for centuries by Australian jarate masters.
- Jarate does not have a taunt.
- Saxton Hale of Mann Co. now sells this ancient secret in the form of an instructional course, diuretic drugs and 1-liter mason jars. (and Pain Tonic, to counteract the horrifically painful side-effects of the diuretics.)
- For a nominal fee of $5, it is possible to be taught this ancient and venerable technique, previously rendered unlearnable due to reasons of public health and decency.
- Saxton Hale reportedly invented Jarate after kicking a chair across the room in a frustrated rage.
- When killed with the Jarate equipped and ready to throw (or even slightly after throwing it) you will drop the jar. Other players can pick this up for 50% ammo.
- Jarate may crit, resulting in a team colored effect surrounding the jar. This does not affect damage done to any victims, nor does it increase the duration
- A Sentry gun can also benefit from the Mini-crit effect of Jarate.
- The word "Piss" is swear-filtered to "Jarate" on the Steam forums.
- It is repeatedly stated in the blog pages that Jarate is in no way affiliated with, or a substitute for Karate.
- A similar martial art was revealed as a joke in one of the WAR! update's hidden pages called Larate, which granted the user a sped up version of Karate.
- Disturbingly, Jarate can be refilled at an ammo locker.
- Unlike Mad milk, the Jarate does not have the jigglebone effect.
- Jarate can cause the Sniper to have a kill and an assist on the same player. This happens when a Soldier or Demoman kills himself with explosives, after being damaged and jarated by the Sniper. The kill message then shows "(Snipername) + (Snipername) finished off (Jarate-victim's name)"
- If the Sniper does only need one more kill on his victim and this bug occurs, the Sniper will get a "Double-Domination". In the Scoreboard he will have two dominations, but only one marker on the enemy side from the person he is dominating.
- Unlike other classes, the Spy has various responses when hit by Jarate, including the surprised Spy's phrase on the April Fool's Jarate Ad ("I have been shown who is the boss!").
- The Jarate can contribute towards the "Kook the Spook" achievement if a sniper douses an enemy spy with a Jarate and a friendly sniper uses his kukri to kill the spy.