From TF2 Wiki
Hats (or Headwear) are items of equipment with their own 'head' section in thescreen. They have no effect on gameplay and exist for cosmetic purposes. Most available hats are during in-game playtime, with a notably rarer drop rate and higher crafting cost than unlockable weapons. As such, they tend to be highly sought after.
In total, there are 53 unlockable hats as well as 3 unlockable 'hatless' models. These 'hatless' hats, available only for the, and remove the player's standard hat and display their hair (or lack thereof) underneath. While most hats are class-specific, a number of hats exist which can be equipped by any class.
Die Geschichte der Hüte
Die ersten neun Hüte wurden als Überraschung am Ende des Updates in das Spiel implementiert.
Das nächste Set wurde hinzugefügt, bestehend aus 18 Hüten und 3 'hatless' Modellen (wesentlich höhere Polygonenanzahl als die erste Generation von Hüten)
September 2, 2009
Seit dem Erscheinen der Hüte, erschienen Programme von Dritt-Anbietern, welche es dem Spieler erlaubte zu "idlen" um so die Wahrscheinlichkeit zu erhöhen einen Hut zu finden. Darauf verbot  Spieler, die derartige Programme nicht benutzten, wurden mit dem belohnt.die Benutzung externer Idle-Programmen. Als Strafe für die Benutzung solcher Programme, wurden die so erbeuteten Items der Spieler gelöscht
The Halloween event update saw the release of two more special, all-class hats; the, and the . The Gibus was first announced on the Team Fortress 2 Blog and was offered to the first 10,319 users to access a hidden web page. The hat was subsequently made available to all, along with the Halloween mask by obtaining special . The Gibus can still be worn by players today, however, the Halloween mask was limited to the event only and cannot be worn except during the appropriate event.
November 2, 2009
Three new hats are added: The, the , and the . Special versions of these hats are awarded to the three winners of the Propaganda fanart contest, with first, second, and third placed ribbons attached.
The first set of community hats from Valve's Contribute! site are patched in.
All players who bought Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse within the first week of its release were rewarded with a special hat,, which is wearable by all nine classes.
The second set of community hats from Valve's Contribute! site are patched in.
The "Parasite Hat" was patched in to celebrate the release of Alien Swarm. Getting the Alien Swarm "Hat Trick" achievement allows you to use the hat in Team Fortress 2.
List of Hats
|Fabricate Headgear||3 Refined Metal||1 Random Headgear|
|Fabricate Class Headgear||4 Refined Metal + 1 Class Token||1 Class Headgear|
|Rebuild Headgear||2 Headgear||1 Random Headgear|
Cost summary table
|Item||Total crafting cost||Smelt value|
|Random Headgear|| 2 headgear or 2 misc (Camera Beard, Physician's Procedural Mask, Whiskered Gentleman) or |
54 weapons = 27 Scrap Metal = 9 Reclaimed Metal = 3 Refined Metal
|Class-specific Headgear||72 weapons = (36 Scrap metal = 12 Reclaimed Metal = 4 Refined Metal) + 3 weapons (1 Class Token)||75 weapons|
Note: Bothand are considered headgear for crafting purposes.
Note: Event hats and other hats of limited availability do not count toward the Rebuild Headgear recipe. These include, the , the , the , and the .
- , resembling the eponymous character's hat from the Sam & Max series, was to have been included with Max's severed head, the , and the as part of the week-long cross promotion for purchasing Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse via Steam. It was eventually cut from the game because the modelling team had trouble getting the hat to properly fit each class, though team-specific textures remain in the game files.
- Currently, the only hat that can be specifically crafted and reliably acquired is the , made by crafting together two es and a .
- Coincidentally, both former hats that are now are fake facial hair.
- Interview: Valve's Robin Walker on Item Drops and the Future of Team Fortress 2
- Sniper vs. Spy Update Bonus Day
- Classless Update- Official Hat Announcement.
- Classless Update- An Editorial Cartoon of Some Insighte
- Classless Update- Barbary
- TF2 Official Blog- Incoming!
- TF2 Official Blog- Nice goin', pardner