From TF2 Wiki
The Flamethrower is the primary weapon of the Pyro. The Flamethrower's range is very limited, however it deals heavy damage at close quarters.
The Flamethrower fires a stream of flame particles in a narrow cone which travel quickly at first, then slow down and drift slightly upward before expiring. It shoots 22.5 particles of flame each second, consuming 12.5 ammunition per second. Particles carry momentum from the Pyro who fired them. At its maximum range, the Flamethrower is not accurate enough to put a constant stream on a single target.
Apart from the direct damage, the Flamethrower also sets your target on fire, causing the target to continue to burn for a short time when no longer being fired upon. Pyros themselves are vulnerable to the direct damage but not to the afterburn, due to their flame-retardant suits (however, they are still considered burning while taking the direct damage, so the Flare Gun performs Mini-crits and the Axtinguisher performs Critical hits). The afterburn can be extinguished by the Medic's Medigun, a Dispenser's healing stream, contact with water, friendly Jarate, the standard flamethrower's compression blast or any type of Health pack.
Alternate fire on with the flamethrower equipped results in a compression blast, which can deflect enemy stickies, grenades, flares, rockets, baseballs, arrows and Jarate, as well as simply pushing enemies away. The compression blast also extinguishes the fire effect when used on allies.
- Base damage is based upon range (or, by extension, particle lifetime), and is rounded at the end of all calculations (after Critical multipliers, et cetera).
- From 0 to 200 units: 6.2 per particle (139.5 per second).
- From 200 to 384 units: linear decrease from 6.2 to 3.72 per particle (83.7 per second, 60% of max) (384 is maximum range)
- There is very slight variability (±0.08 per particle) because some particles are at an angle, slightly varying their travel time.
- Afterburn damage: 3 damage every 0.5 seconds for 10 seconds (60 damage total)
- Mini-crit afterburn damage: 4 damage every 0.5 seconds for 10 seconds (80 damage total)
- Mini-Crit: 1.35× base damage, then round to nearest whole
- Critical Hit: 3× base damage, then round to nearest whole
- DPS at <200 units: 427.5
Note: Damage-Per-Second values assume all particles find victims.
Base damage changes over particle lifetime, instead of distance from player (all other weapons affected by distance measure from player to player). Damages are approximate and determined by community testing.
- Attack Interval: 0.04
- Ammo Consumption Interval: 0.08
- Compression Blast Interval: 0.75
All times are in seconds. Times are approximate and determined by community testing.
- The Flamethrower has Developer weapon variants.
- It appears to use propane due to its short range and translucent orange flame.
- Beta builds of TF2 featured a hose connecting the Pyro's back canister to the Flamethrower, and the hose is still visible in the Pyro's HUD icon. Currently, the hose is re-routed to the tank on the underside of the Flamethrower.
- The Flamethrower is a homemade hack-job much like some of the other weapons in TF2, consisting of a converted gas pump and several fastening bands.
- The ignition flame does not go out, even underwater. This is because it is a part of the model.
- When attempting to use the Flamethrower while standing directly up against a wall and facing it, the Flamethrower does not fire and no ammunition is consumed.
- The Flamethrower's taunt may be a reference to Leatherface from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, when he raises his chainsaw in the air laughing. It may also be a reference to the "taunt" the Tusken raiders make in the Star Wars movies with their rifles, as the Pyro and the Tusken raiders share similar physical qualities.
- Upon closer inspection, the Flamethrower looks like a petrol dispenser with a can of fuel underneath. The extended tube could possibly be to stop the Pyro burning his gloves, extending the burning range, or to make space for whatever keeps the smaller flame alight.
English • Русский