From TF2 Wiki
Yeah, that seems about right!
— The Sniper on product testing.
The Bloke's bucket hat is a headwear item for the Sniper and was chosen by Valve to be released with the second wave of community-contributed content due to its outstanding quality. It appears as a fisherman's hat, with several team colored lures hanging on the band around the hat and pinned to its brim.
- A bucket hat lives up to its name by being commonly used by fishermen to hold various pieces of fishing equipment such as hooks, sinkers, floats, and lures.
- Wearing this hat makes the Sniper bear a striking resemblance to the late gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson who, along with his trademark orange aviator sunglasses, wore many different colored fisherman's hats throughout his life.
- It may also be a reference to Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake from the hit TV series M*A*S*H, who was known for wearing his trademark fisherman's hat (along with a similiar vest to the Sniper's).
- The Bloke's bucket hat is the only Sniper hat to have team colour variants.
- Perhaps the Sniper enjoyed fishing whilst he was also hunting for wild animals.
- "Bloke" is an old English slang term for "Man", similar to the term "Guy".